Just somewhere to put down my thoughts on Interactive Media Strategies (IMS) and occasionally some other stuff that pops into my mind...

Thursday 29 October 2009

Mind Mole Says, "Don't Cut The Corner!"

I am a keen driver and so often travel by car. I have been driving now for about 4 years and I generally enjoy it. I know some people drive out of necessity and just put up with it but I have always been quite fond of this mode of transport. I wouldn't say I'm a boy racer type or drive particularly fast, I just enjoy being able to get around and not being restricted by bus timetables or anything else. However, of late I have been getting increasingly frustrated when driving at what seems to be a growing phenomenon; people cutting the corner at a right turn.

Here is the highway code's rule for making a right turn:
180

Wait until there is a safe gap between you and any oncoming vehicle. Watch out for cyclists, motorcyclists, pedestrians and other road users. Check your mirrors and blind spot again to make sure you are not being overtaken, then make the turn. Do not cut the corner. Take great care when turning into a main road; you will need to watch for traffic in both directions and wait for a safe gap.

Remember: Mirrors – Signal – Manoeuvre
Highway Code
I have highlighted my main point, “Do not cut the corner”. This seems quite reasonable doesn't it, especially when you consider that in essence, cutting the corner equates to driving on the wrong side of the road!

From my experience I wouldn't consider this a universal trend. People everywhere aren't developing this inability to drive properly, it's very much a localised tendency. Drivers in the Bournemouth area, what's going on here?! Is the sea air doing something to you so that even driving around other cars on a bend becomes too much to ask? You don't seem to be that bothered that sailing round a blind right turn on the opposite side of the road could have dire consequences.

Sorry to have a bit of a rant here, but it's difficult to enjoy driving when inexplicably you're faced with oncoming cars at every turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment